Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Tie-Dye Birthday

I created these for a friends birthday tonight. She is gluten intolerant so I had to go in a direction I hadn't tried before, gluten free deserts. I cheated a little on this one by using a boxed mix. I actually was looking forward to the frosting on these ones more than the cake.

The cake turned out better than I thought and I think they look pretty awesome as well. I was pleased with my effort.

For the frosting I did a simple white frosting and divided it into 4 bowls. I used a gel dye to color the frosting because I feel like the gel gives it a more vivid color and you also don't run the risk of changing the consistency of your frosting. I then put each color into the bag, trying to keep them as separate as possible. To mix it up just a little more without actually running the colors together I stuck a knife down in the bag just a few times. Then decorate away!

I'm usually not a fan of using box mixes, especially when making cupcakes from scratch is so easy. But I was short on time today and when in a rush they will do. Maybe in the near future I'll try to make a gluten free cake from scratch. But that's an adventure for another day.


(Just a note: I'll improve the pictures in the future. These first ones were all taken on my cell phone.)

No comments: