Friday, October 8, 2010

S'more Cupcakes

Since it's fall and I'm in the mood for fall foods I decided to try my hand at a s'more cupcake. All the recipes I've seen around have a marshmallow topping with a chocolate center. I decided to switch it around and put the chocolate on top and cream in the center.


I was also planning on decorating the top with some of the remaining graham cracker crumbs but I just forgot. I think they would look good on top though.

Anyway, here is the recipe if you would like to try it:


Graham Cracker Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Creme Filling
1-7 oz container marshmallow cream
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 T water
1-4 tsp salt

Ganache Frosting
12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips or chocolate chopped into small pieces
1 cup heavy cream

Instructions
Beat the butter until well creamed. Add the sugar and mix for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.

Add the eggs one at a time, be sure to beat for about 30 seconds for each egg.

Place the graham cracker crumbs in a food processor, or if you're poor like me and don't have one you can crush them in a ziploc bag using a rolling pin. Ground them into small crumbs and powder. You'll probably need around 15 whole crackers.

Sift together the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Add the flour/cracker mixture and milk into the butter/sugar/egg mixture alternating between the wet and try ingredients, ending with dry.

Bake at 350 F for 15-18 minutes. This made about 18 cupcakes.

While the cakes are baking you can make the cream and frosting.


Mix all ingredients for the creme filling with an electric mixer (believe me, you'll want it on this one) until fluffy. Fill the center of the cupcakes with the mixture after they have completely cooled.


For the frosting, heat the heavy cream up in the microwave or on the stove, be careful not to scorch it. Pour hot cream over the chocolate chips and let sit a minute or so to let it all melt. Stir. Let the chocolate get back to room temperature (I actually put my in the refrigerator). With an electric mixer (again, you'll really want it) beat until fluffy. Decorate as you wish.



I really enjoyed this recipe and I think it's something that adults and kids would both like. It's perfect for fall. Have fun!

No comments: