Tuesday, February 22, 2011

South African Milk Tart (Melktert)

I made these lovely tarts the other day. They are all gone because we ate them up faster than I want to admit. They were absolutely delicious.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that I think I have found a new favorite dessert.

They were so simple to make as well. Just a basic crust that ended up tasting like a very light sugar cookie. And the custard part was creamy, but not too heavy. The custard balanced out with the sweet of the sugar and it was amazing.


There are many variations on this recipe since it's a traditional South African recipe. My only complaint about this recipe is that the crust came out a bit tough and I would have liked it to be a little softer. Maybe just a few minutes less cooking next time.

But as far as this recipe goes, it's for sure a keeper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi can you maybe email me the recipe please? neyaq7@gmail.com